HelloScience13

Can I Measure The Diameter Of The Earth’s Core Using Seismic waves

Postby HelloScience13 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:23 am

Hi my name is Angela and I am asking for help on this project I’m doing this project that includes a software app that I must download in order to do the project but the software that I downloaded is very complicated to me because so many steps and procedures had to be done but in the it didn’t work out it. I was hoping if you can give me a functional and easy app I can work with also I have 1 more question for this project one of the steps that I have to check off is variables and procedures would you mind if you can explain that to me a little bit to get the concept
PLEASE HELP ME
8) :evil: :? :)

SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher

Re: Can I Measure The Diameter Of The Earth’s Core Using Seismic waves

Postby SciB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi Angela,

Sorry you had problems understanding the GEE software. It is pretty complicated and as far as I know there is no other program that gives the same data in a more understandable format. Other experts, what do you say?

I read through the procedure and it seems pretty intuitive (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure). You just have to read the steps carefully and do them exactly as described. Try it again and when you get stuck post your question explaining exactly what happened and we will help you get back on track. You will get it eventually. It just takes a little time and practice.

I think this is a really cool project! It is so great that we can access all this earthquake data from anywhere in the world and work with it just like other scientists. We've never had opportunities like that for doing citizen science before.

Good luck!

Sybee

HelloScience13

Postby HelloScience13 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi, thanks for the responds and advice but the thing when I tried to do as it states and download it, all these files appear I looked through every one of them but when I open the file it asked me how I want to open it (i was allowed to chose Internet explorer, Launch Windows app, Notepad, Office XML Handler, paint, Windows Media player, Word 2016, Wordpad) I chose internet explorer, but it just ask the same question, so I chose Word and this is what it shows
¬í sr java.util.ArrayListxÒ ™Ça I sizexp w
I try again but with my note pad but it did the same thing when I try opening it with others it wont work

SciB
Expert

Postby SciB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Hmm...that's weird. What version of Windows are you running?

I use Firefox browser with Win10 so I'll try downloading it and see what happens and let you know. I don't think there's any other program you can use that provides the same data.
Sybee

SciB
Expert

Postby SciB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 pm

I think I figured out what might be wrong. I downloaded the app and when I double-clicked to open the file I saw it was a .jar executable and that has to be handled by Java. So, I had to first download Java here: https://java.com/en/download/

and once that was installed I tried opening the GEE software installer and it worked. I created a folder named Java to open the program in and put an icon on the desktop. I was able to run the GEE program and see the same screen shots as in the SCibuddies instructions for the project, so hopefully you will be able to do the same.

Let me know how you make out.

Sybee

HelloScience13

Postby HelloScience13 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you so much
It started to work thanks to you

Angela

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”