variables

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kjeanstafford

variables

Post by kjeanstafford »

I am wanting to do a science fair project on plants and the greenhouse effect. i will be measuring plants growth under the same circumstances, except for the covering of the cups. I plan on using all of the same seeds, same lighting, same watering, but my variable would be in the amount of clear plastic that i am putting on top of each of the cups. The water will likely evaporate at different rates because of the plastic. Does this become an extra variable or just a natural occurrence that i can use in my greenhouse effect project? Thank you.

Kayden
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: variables

Post by RicaC »

Dear kjeanstafford,

I think that the evaporation at different rates is a dependent variable (the variable that you measure in an experiment) because you are saying that this evaporation happens because of the plastic. Since the amount of clear plastic is your independent variable (variable that you change in an experiment), I believe that the evaporation can be considered to be a dependent variable.

I hope this helps you and please let us know if you have any additional questions about your project.

RicaC
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: variables

Post by MadelineB »

Hi kjeanstafford,
The Science Buddies project guide has a section that discusses types of variables, including dependent, independent, and control variables. That might help you understand how to decide which is which! Here's the link.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”