Pond Water

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lancj

Pond Water

Post by lancj »

Hello,
My daughter is doing a science fair calling for pond water to hold Daphnia in various concentrations of Nanosilver. I cannot find any suppliers of pond water. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what she could use?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Pond Water

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Daphnia are quite sensitive to pollutants and chemicals so your best choice would be to use distilled water. Most supermarkets sell it by the gallon. Pond water has other organisms in it and depending on where the pond is, the water could have fertilizer run-off, pesticides or air pollutants. At least with DW you are fairly certain that it only contains water.

Good luck,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”