PLEASE HELP!! QUESTION AT BOTTON OF THREAD

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

aalee

PLEASE HELP!! QUESTION AT BOTTON OF THREAD

Post by aalee »

All students at my school have to participate in the annual school science fair, and this year I'm testing 7 different homemade solutions such as vinegar water and 7-up soda with fresh-cut flowers to see which solution helps the flowers to live longest. I conducted three trials for each solution using the same kind of flowers throughout the entire experiment and observed the flowers for 7 days. 7-up soda did the best, while salt water did the worst. Now that the experiment is over, I have to create data charts and bar graphs but I don't know how to input the results I got with numbers. I tried to make a data chart on powerpoint (below link) but it seems off. Does anybody have advice or know how to format the charts? Please help me! powerpoint: file:///C:/Users/USER/Documents/flower%20data%20charts.pdf p.s. I didn't input the data yet
Last edited by aalee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: data charts for experiment on keeping fresh cut flowers fresh

Post by RicaC »

Dear aalee,

Whenever I have to create data charts or date tables, I always create a new document on Google Docs and create a data table/chart on it. You can also create one on Microsoft Word. After you completed the data chart, you can take a screenshot of it and paste it to the powerpoint. A pdf document from WGBH Educational Foundation (http://www.sedl.org/afterschool/toolkit ... elines.pdf) might be helpful for you because it clearly shows you a way to present the data.

For bar graphs, I recommend using the bar graph maker at Kids' Zone. This site makes it easy for you to make a graph. This is the link to the site: https://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/graphing/classic/bar.asp
After you completed the graph on this site, you can save the graph as an image and use it on the powerpoint.

If you have any questions, please let us know. Good luck in your science fair.

RicaC
aalee

Re: data charts for experiment on keeping fresh cut flowers fresh

Post by aalee »

Hi RicaC,
thank you so much! i'll definitely try doing that :) another thing i'm having trouble with is finding out how to show my test results into the charts and graphs. Since the results of my experiment are mainly based on observation and what each flower's condition is, I don't know how to convert the results into numbers to put into the charts.
aalee

keeping flowers fresh with homemade solutions

Post by aalee »

All students at my school have to participate in the annual school science fair, and this year I'm testing 7 different homemade solutions such as vinegar water and 7-up soda with fresh-cut flowers to see which solution helps the flowers to live longest. I conducted three trials for each solution using the same kind of flowers throughout the entire experiment and observed the flowers for 7 days. Now that the experiment is over, I have to input my results into data charts and bar graphs but I don't know how to organize my results. Should I use the number of days it took for the flowers to show signs of decay or should I make a scale that shows how fresh the flowers were at the end of the 7 days? And if I were to use a scale to input my results as numbers into the charts and graphs, how should I design it?

Note from moderator:
Please keep your questions together in the same topic thread. That way, the expert who has been helping you will see that you have a follow-up question. Thank you!
aalee

SOS!! PLEASE HELP ME!! flower science fair project

Post by aalee »

My science fair project is due very soon and i posted a question but nobody is replying, anybody who knows about data organization and flowers please help me!! the link to my question is down below.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18424

Note from moderator:
Science Buddies policy requests that you keep your questions together in the same topic thread. That way, the expert who has been helping you will see that you have a follow-up question. Please be patient - the experts on this forum lead busy lives. Thank you!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”