"How much fat?" question/confused

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

fizzylandho

"How much fat?" question/confused

Post by fizzylandho »

In the procedure of "How much fat is in your food?" it tells how to calculate the percentage...but I'm confused..Under annylizing your data number three, It says "Use the calculated mass difference of the crushed food before and after extraction." Do I add the two, Before and after, together? Or do I do seperate problems? Does that make sense? thanks
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: "How much fat?" question/confused

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Sorry to be so long in answering your question.

The difference in weight of the food before and after acetone extraction is the number you want because that is equivalent to its fat content. The acetone dissolves the fat, and you remove it, so the difference in weight after extraction is equivalent to the amount of fat. You can express it as a percentage of the weight of the food before extraction.

Does this answer your question?

Sybee
fizzylandho

Post by fizzylandho »

Yes thanks!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

You are very welcome!

If you have any other questions about your project please ask. Often your ideas are very useful because everyone looks at things in different ways. Our knowledge is limited and what passes for truth today may be changed when better information comes online. We welcome your questions and feedback because it helps us learn and do our work better.

Thanks for using Scibuddies!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”