Growth rate equation

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Mithke

Growth rate equation

Post by Mithke »

Hello! We are looking for the correct equation to find the difference in growth rate in percentage for a plant that grew 12mm in two days and one that grew 2.4mm in two days. Thanks for helping!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Growth rate equation

Post by SciB »

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean to measure as a percent. You give the increase in height over two days. In order to express the growth as a percentage of the plant's height, I would have to know the heights of the plants at day zero. You could express the growth of one plant as a percentage of the other. The faster growing plant grew five times as fast as the slower, or 500%. The slower plant grew at only 20% of the rate of the faster plant.

Is this what you were after? What did you mean by growth rate equation? If you simply divide the increase in height by the time, you will get a relative growth rate in mm/day; but this varies with different types of plant and at different times in a plant's growth cycle.

Post again if you need more help.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”