how much fat is in your food? project question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MamaDolgoff

how much fat is in your food? project question

Post by MamaDolgoff »

How do you calculate the Fat content from nutrition label [%] and the Extraction efficiency [%] needed for the data table?
iriss
Former Expert

Re: how much fat is in your food? project question

Post by iriss »

Hello,

Thanks for posting your question in the Ask the Experts forum! I assume you are talking about our suggested science project, “How Much Fat is in Your Food?”

To calculate the fat content % from the nutrition label, look at the nutrition label for each food item you are testing. Note the number of grams of total fat per serving. Then look at the top of the nutrition label to see the serving size. The number of grams per serving should appear in parentheses next to the serving size information. Divide the number of fat grams by the total grams per serving and multiply by 100. The result is your fat content %.

For example, if a jar of peanut butter has 16g of fat per serving and 32g per serving, then the fat content % is 16/32 x 100 = 50%.

To calculate the extraction efficiency %, refer to the “Procedure” tab on the science project page (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure). Scroll down to where it says, “Analyzing Your Data.” Steps 1-5 walk you through how to calculate the extraction efficiency.

First, you’ll need to follow steps 1-3 to determine the percentage of extracted fat. Step 4 is where you calculate the actual fat content % from the nutrition label. Then in step 5 you’ll divide the extracted fat percentage by the actual fat percentage and multiply your result by 100.

For example, if I used peanut butter and calculated an extracted fat percentage of 45%, then my extraction efficiency would be 45/50 x 100 = 90%.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”