SidTheScienceKid_000

How to find the age of foods

Postby SidTheScienceKid_000 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm

SO in my school, there is a rumor going around that the school's food currently that is being served is over 2 weeks old.
I need help to find out how I can prove this, and I was hoping to prove this would be less than $20 but I would take any ideas.

Thanks for help,

jskanderson
Student Expert

Re: How to find the age of foods

Postby jskanderson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:15 pm

SidTheScienceKid_000 wrote:SO in my school, there is a rumor going around that the school's food currently that is being served is over 2 weeks old.
I need help to find out how I can prove this, and I was hoping to prove this would be less than $20 but I would take any ideas.

Thanks for help,

Hey SidTheScienceKid,

Welcome to ScienceBuddies! If this has already been proven to be more than a rumor (since you asked this back in May, and it is now July), then I am genuinely sorry to hear that and hope that the deeply flawed meal system will be fixed.

However, your idea in testing for aged or rotten food is a great starter in finding some good science fair projects. For any potential ideas on science fair projects you can conduct, ScienceBuddies has an entire section called "Project Ideas," where you can search for projects in topics related to food (for food testing, perhaps testing for specific bacteria that appear in certain foods after a few weeks would be of interest, in which case you could search in the "Browse Projects By Topic" for topics such as "Microbiology," "Human Biology and Health," or even "Healthy Living").

There is also a search bar near the top of the webpage that says "Search sciencebuddies.org" in which you could type in phrases such as "food aging," "rotten food," or "food testing" and get several results back. Then, you can filter these results on the sidebar by checking off "Project Ideas" and "Cost" (selecting projects $20 and below) to get specific results.

Hope these tips to navigate ScienceBuddies helped! Apologies for the super late answer, but I hope you do pursue this great topic and find some good results.

Best,

JSK
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”