need help?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

happythach864

need help?

Post by happythach864 »

I'd like to do an experiment with essential oils that are thought to be aniti-bacterial in nature and I was looking at your sample on Science Buddies titled "How Well Do Disinfectants Work?" If I used essential oils instead of the chemical disinfectants, do you think that would work or is that too simple, especially for a sixth grader? To be honest, I have never done any of this type of thing, so the other methods might be a little too confusing. thanks for any suggestions.
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: need help?

Post by RicaC »

Dear happythach864,

I think that using essential oils instead of the chemical disinfectants is a great idea because more people are turning to chemical-free products. Also, I think that you could also perform an experiment where you compare the effectiveness of chemical disinfectants and essential oils. However, if you go with your plan of using only essential oils, you can follow the same procedure on "How Well Do Disinfectants Work?" article.

Wishing you all the best with the project! If you have any questions, please let me know.

RicaC

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”