Help Needed on Iron Rich Food Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cjohnson2220

Help Needed on Iron Rich Food Project

Post by cjohnson2220 »

Hi there,
I am helping my students as they do the Iron Rich Foods project. Is there a way to do it without ordering the Home Science Kit Iron Testing Kit? We have tried water testing strips but can't get a noticeable change. What are our other options instead of ordering the kit?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help Needed on Iron Rich Food Project

Post by SciB »

Hi and welcome to Scibuddies,

I haven't used any other iron test strips to measure iron under the conditions of the Scibuddies project, so I cannot recommend something that I am not sure of. What I would suggest, however, is to try Carolina Biologicals, a company that has been retailing scientific supplies to U.S. schools for over 80 years. They sell iron test strips for measuring iron in water (0-5 ppm): https://www.carolina.com/environmental- ... est+strips

The problem that you might have is getting accurate readings at the lower pH values. If the paper strips are designed to work in water at around pH 7.0, they may not work correctly at pH 4.0 or 2.4. The company does offer good tech support for their products and if you call them and tell them you are a teacher needing to use iron test strips for a class project, they should be able to help you find out whether their iron test strips will work at low pH.

The only other alternative would be to scour the web for companies selling iron test strips and call them and ask whether their strips will work at low pH.

Good luck, and do let us know how you make out. Someone else may need to know where to buy inexpensive iron test strips.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”