Optical Illusions (help)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

4331e0a657b64103bd52453addd1f963

Optical Illusions (help)

Post by 4331e0a657b64103bd52453addd1f963 »

Hello, I'm an 8th grade student and my partners and I are deciding whether or not if we should do a project about optical illusions.

In the project we are deciding whether being color blind affects the illusion and what is the first thing people see in the illusion.

I'd like to know what can we do with this topic and if it can be done outside of school or in the morning before class begins, since we can't really work on it in class

It'd be nice if you recommended some images : )

Thanks to whoever responds!

~Elizabeth
Alyssayager
Former Student Expert

Re: Optical Illusions (help)

Post by Alyssayager »

Hello Elizabeth, welcome to science buddies! Your question about questioning whether color blindness affects what people see in an optical illusion is very interesting! There are multiple different forms of color blindness, the type may affect if the person is able to see anything due to possible differences in the colors of the illusion. If you are trying to determine whether what the person sees in the illusion is the same for a color blind person as opposed to what a non-color blind person sees, you would have to have a color blind person present or some way to replicate color blind vision artificially.
However, I do not know of any ways to really accurately and artificially replicate this condition. I would also appreciate if you were to clarify what type of optical illusion you are trying to perform to be able to identify when would be a good time and what materials to use for this experiment.
A great site to brainstorm different optical illusions is https://sciencebob.com/see-some-optical-illusions/

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”