Looking for temperature controlling unit for science fair project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

920223b47da643d694d71baf2236df84

Looking for temperature controlling unit for science fair project

Post by 920223b47da643d694d71baf2236df84 »

Hello,

I am trying to find the effect of temperature on decomposition rate of organic matter. To do this I need a device that can maintain different temperatures for 8 + weeks. Any suggestions? I thought about a portable oven however I wasn't sure if this was safe to keep on for this long.

I am also looking for a device that can control oxygen level in organic matter. Oxygen level is another independent variable in my project.

Thanks,
Diya

Moderator note: Hi Diya, I edited your first post to include your second post, so all your questions are together to help the experts see everything in one place. Thanks!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Looking for temperature controlling unit for science fair project

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Good temperature control is really important in a science project, but some controllers can cost 100s of dollars. I would suggest using a water bath and an aquarium heater with temperature controller. You can buy a small aquarium and fill it with water and using the heater/controller you can maintain temperature within a degree or so. Try to keep the water bath in a room where the temperature does not fluctuate that much, out of drafts, away from doors to the outside and not in direct sunlight.

Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”