Do the Eyes Have it: Why block working memory

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

aandbhanson

Do the Eyes Have it: Why block working memory

Post by aandbhanson »

I am doing the 'Do the Eyes Have it' for my Science Fair Project. I have researched working memory, short term memory and long term memory and I understand the differences. I have been unable to find why it is important to block working memory in this experiment. Can you help me? Thank you!
Alyssayager
Former Student Expert

Re: Do the Eyes Have it: Why block working memory

Post by Alyssayager »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies! The “Do the Eyes Have It” experiment is an excellent choice to perform! When testing short term memory, working memory can tend to get in the way, in fact most people can not tell the difference! The working memory would need to be blocked in this certain experiment to make sure that your subject is actually using their short term memory and not just quickly committing the numbers to memory by repeating them in their head multiple times. Let me know if you have any questions ~ Alyssa

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”