Please help! Soda experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mjkp

Please help! Soda experiment

Post by mjkp »

Hello. I am having trouble with my science fair project. I already turned my project idea in but as I am starting to do my project I am getting stuck. My title is: What effect does soda have on different materials? I was going to test regular soda and the effects it has on pennies, nails and milk. I am not sure what my hypothesis could be or my independent/dependent variables are. I'm afraid that my topic is too vague and Im not going to be able to graph data. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
ashleywbae
Student Expert

Re: Please help! Soda experiment

Post by ashleywbae »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies!

Your project involving soda is headed in the right direction. The first step to take would be to identify what you want to test. Is it the type of soda, the material it's being tested on, etc.

Your dependent variable would be the effect x soda has on pennies, nails, and milk. For this aspect of your project, you also want to think about how you are going to quantify your data in order to graph it. For this particular experiment, it may be difficult to quantify. However, you can think about creating a number scale to the "cleanliness" of each item. For example, creating a colorimetric scale for your pennies, a 1 would rank the penny as very dull while a 5 would rank the penny as very shiny. Creating this quantified scaling system will make it much easier to graph.

Once you figure out what you're testing and how you're going to measure it, I think your project is ready to start!
mjkp

Re: Please help! Soda experiment

Post by mjkp »

Thanks so much for your advice! It definitely puts me on the right track. :)

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”