Mouth Microbes Science Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sareena Avadhany
Former Expert

Post by Sareena Avadhany »

Hi sunn,

I am glad I could be of help, and am delighted that your project has turned out really really well.

I'm sure your presentation is going to look great; definitely put creative finishes on your board to captivate your judges.

When is the competition day?

Great job!

Have a nice weekend as well.

Sincerely,
Sareena
sunn

In response

Post by sunn »

Hi Sareena,

I have to do my presentation in exactly one month, so I have a little time although it will go by fast. I don't know what to expect as I have never done this before. But it will be fine. I don't know what you mean by "creative finishes," but by the way I feel right now, I don't know if I will have enough time to do extra things for the board this year as I am soooo burnt out (I got sick again) and I have other homework. I am so happy for your help because all the info has gottne me on track, plus I will be way ahead of the game next time, although I do not know what other grades or classes where science experiments are assigned. I am delirious right now so I better go, but have a nice week and thanks again, Sareena. Please excuse any errors.
Sareena Avadhany
Former Expert

Post by Sareena Avadhany »

Hi sunn,

Definitely get better soon. In terms of putting your board together, a month would be plenty of time. All you would need is a typed version of everything you have written in your notebook. This is when notebooks come real handy; instead of rewriting all of the parts of the scientific method again, just use most of it from your notebook.

What I mean by creative finishes is basically make your board look attractive. For example, a friend of mine in ninth grade, who did very well in science fairs, drew small caricatures related to his project, decorated his board with them, added color and showed many colorful diagrams and drawings of his work. This all adds to impress the judges; presentation is a very important part of scientific work, and showing effort in making your project creative is impressive. However, if you feel this is not possible due to your circumstances, I wouldn't worry about it. The main stuff (research, quesiton, hypothesis, etc.) is what is important; decorations on your board are definitely not as important.

I'm very happy to hear that you will be participating in another science competition next year; I am sure it will be a very successful project. I believe next year you are qualified to apply to Discover Channel Youth Scientist Challenge. If your regional science fair is associated with the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF), then you would be able to compete for this award in your regional, and if selected you are able to advance to the next level. I think you can even apply this year. Here is the URL: http://school.discovery.com/sciencefaircentral/dysc/. This is a very prestigious award, and from what my friends who were participants have told me, a great experience!

I hope you feel better sunn.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Sareena

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”