TB simulation?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alexismason

TB simulation?

Post by alexismason »

Hello,
I have a student working on a Science Fair project. He is researching TB bacteria, and was hoping to have access to a simulation tool, which offers him the ability to test the effects of different substances on TB bacteria. Does this exist? If not, any suggestions of ways to complete an experiment without actual bacteria involved?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: TB simulation?

Post by SciB »

I don't know of any accessible software that would allow you to run simulated experiments on Tb bacteria. Tb is still a major killer in the world and new drugs are always needed to combat bacterial diseases. If you want to do a good and useful project, design some new drugs to kill or at least paralyze the bacteria.

You will have to do some searching to find some good Tb protein targets. I'm not an expert on this bacterium, so all i can suggest is to read online until you find some potential targets and then try to find some likely drug compounds that will bind to or otherwise inactivate the bacterial proteins.

All these 'experiments' can be done online using the NCBI and other databases. You won't be able to actually test the compounds you discover, but you can describe the supporting evidence that leads you to think that these drugs might be useful against Tb.

Good luck,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”