Finding the Independent and dependent variable smoking

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Candiceg412

Independent and dependent variables in my experiment

Post by Candiceg412 »

Thanks for the advice! However, I’m stilll not sure what the independent variable and the depends variable are. My science fair project are also about smoking, and my questions is “what happen to your lungs if you smoke”. I’m not sure what I need to write about the independent and dependent variable for that.
From Can
Hope you could help me. Please reply as soon as possible because my proposal form is due on Thursday. :|
Candiceg412

Finding the Independent and dependent variable smoking

Post by Candiceg412 »

So I’m basically doing a project about smoking, what happen to your lung if you mike. I’m going to sue the cotton and the plastic bottle as a lung to find the result of making. However , I’m having trouble finding the independent variable and the dependent variable . I’m pretty sure the independent are the thing that is going to change and the dependent are the result. However, I’m not sure what the independent and dependent variable for my science project is
Pleaseee help! :?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Finding the Independent and dependent variable smoking

Post by SciB »

Hi Candice,

You were correct in your post--the indie variables are those that you control--the conditions of your experiment. The dependent variable is what you measure--the smoke or particles that collect on the cotton. Dependent variables are measurements so usually are expressed as numbers. By repeating the experiments several times you can get an average reading that allows you to do statistical tests on the data to prove or disprove your hypothesis.

If you have more questions, please let me know.

Sybee
Candiceg412

Post by Candiceg412 »

SciB wrote:Hi Candice,

You were correct in your post--the indie variables are those that you control--the conditions of your experiment. The dependent variable is what you measure--the smoke or particles that collect on the cotton. Dependent variables are measurements so usually are expressed as numbers. By repeating the experiments several times you can get an average reading that allows you to do statistical tests on the data to prove or disprove your hypothesis.

If you have more questions, please let me know.

Sybee
From Candiceg412
Thanks so much for the advice! However, I’m still not sure if th cigarette re the independent and the cotton are the dependent
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

Think about what you are measuring--that is the key. The cotton collects smoke particles and you weigh it or examine it to MEASURE how much. That is what defines a dependent variable. The value of what is measured DEPENDS on the conditions that you choose for the experiment--the INDEPENDENT (you control) variables.

If you want to understand the idea of experimental variables better, go to Youtube and search for how to define experimental variables and watch several videos. If you will take the time to listen and and understand what the videos are saying then you will eventually get it. Youtube is one of the greatest resources available to students and you should use it always for your own questions and studies. Don't wait for a teacher to tell you things--if you are interested in something, look it up yourself!

If you have more questions, let me know. We are here to help you learn as well as do good science.

Best wishes,
Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”