salivary acidity and temperature

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

rahul1974

Re: salivary acidity and temperature

Post by rahul1974 »

Eric, I am going to use water, coffee and tea as liquids to be investigated at different temperatures. Coffee and tea will be without cream and sugar. Can you think of any other liquids that I can use? I would prefer to use liquid that does not have any carbohydrates. Thanks
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Water, coffee, and tea would be sufficient liquids to use in your experiment. Other liquids you might consider could be ones in which not many ingredients are present, minimizing potential error, as well as liquids which are low on carbohydrates.
rahul1974

Post by rahul1974 »

Eric, what should be my control group? I am going to use water, tea and coffee. Is water my control group?
rahul1974

Post by rahul1974 »

Eric, is there a possibility that ph change will occur maybe 15-20 minutes after being exposed to liquids with high/low temperatures? I am worried about it as you recommended checking ph immediately after drinking liquids with different temperatures.
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Your control group would include the saliva that is not exposed to any liquid temperatures. So, you could just measure the pH of saliva without any liquid additives containing various temperatures, which means that water would not be considered the control group. Also, for each trial, keep the liquid you are using constant. This means that for hot, cold, and room temperature, use the same type of liquid. You could do one trial using the coffee for all three temperatures, a trial using water for all three temperatures, and a trial using tea for all three temperatures. After that, you could repeat it once more to get two trials for each type of liquid.

Regarding how long you should wait before checking the pH, you should do it almost right away. For example, if you wait 20 minutes to check the salivary pH after being exposed to the hot liquid, the saliva would experience significant cooling and would yield similar results to that of the room temperature liquid. The salivary mixture with the hot liquid would no longer be hot, since the 20 minutes that you were waiting allowed it to cool down.
Please ask if you need any clarification!

EricBebenov24
rahul1974

Post by rahul1974 »

Eric, thanks for your input. One more question. Do I have to do ANOVA test separately for each liquid(coffee, tea, water)?
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Your independent variable would be temperature, which would then be subdivided into cold, room temperature, hot, and your control group. If you would like to compare your results for each type of liquid and have it accessible in one spot, then you could keep all three of them in one ANOVA test. If you would like to keep the results separate without comparing the results for each liquid, then you could do them in separate tests. You could also do a separate test for each liquid and then compare each of the tests individually. Therefore, if you want to closely compare them, keep them in one test, or if you would just like to look at each liquid individually, then you can make separate tests.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”