Is my hypothesis for my lab report good?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Booksaremylif3

Is my hypothesis for my lab report good?

Post by Booksaremylif3 »

Is this hypothesis good for my lab report? It is due tomorrow, and this is urgent, so please reply quickly. Thank you!
Based on research and gathered information, it is hypothesized that if an egg is soaked in different liquids, then the egg soaked in a liquid will shrink and become wrinkled because of osmosis, and the egg will be in a hypertonic state or the egg placed in a liquid will grow bigger and become very delicate because of diffusion, and will be in a hypotonic state.
PenelopeNorth
Former Student Expert

Re: Is my hypothesis for my lab report good?

Post by PenelopeNorth »

Hello!
I hope it's not too late!
Here is your hypothesis: if an egg is soaked in different liquids, then the egg soaked in a liquid will shrink and become wrinkled because of osmosis, and the egg will be in a hypertonic state or the egg placed in a liquid will grow bigger and become very delicate because of diffusion, and will be in a hypotonic state.

For maximum clarity, I would edit the following:
1. If an egg is soaked in different liquids, then the egg soaked/placed in a ____ liquid (hypertonic?) will shrink and become wrinkled because of osmosis, and the egg will be in a hypertonic state; if an egg is placed in a liquid and grows bigger annd becomes delicate due to osmosis, then it will be in a hypotonic state

I am not sure if you are trying to say if it is in just a general liquid or if it is in a certain environment, i.e. hypertonic or hypotonic. I would also use osmosis both times, rather than say osmosis once and diffusion a different time. I think the more specific you are in your hypothesis, then the better and more clear it will be!
Great job and I hope this helped!!
let me know what else I can do,
Penelope

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”