PLEASE HELP! Algae culture for science project died.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: PLEASE HELP! Algae culture for science project died.

Post by SciB »

Hi ZaZa! Good to hear from you again. Sorry about the science fair being cancelled, but avoiding CoV is more important. Don't take any chances! If it's anything like the flu it can make you feel pretty bad.

Thanks for the kind words. I was happy to help with information and suggestions. The one thing I have learned is that you never stop learning in life. That's why I like doing science and teaching others how to do it and enjoy doing it. Asking interesting questions and getting real answers yourself is incredibly satisfying, and if you are lucky enough to come across something big that has never been found before--well, that is way beyond satisfying.

Whenever you need help, just shoot me a message and I will be here to give you my thoughts and suggestions. Planning experiments is just as important as doing them. That's why scientists always talk to their trusted colleagues before embarking on a new study.

Good luck!

Sybee
Jerolo

Post by Jerolo »

Good luck with your ideas! Hope all will work out for you in a good way
hooiwkas

Post by hooiwkas »

Have you tried to grow another algae culture? I hope you used a different method now. I am from [Indianapolis], and I am interested in the results you have achieved. Please share all your observations. I believe it would be interesting for many users to learn new things for self-education. Thanks a lot for this.
Last edited by hooiwkas on Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

I haven't done this type of experiment with algae, but from my reading, the soil water amendment is necessary for optimal algae growth. Here is one good website describing how to make sterile soil water for adding to an alga culture:

http://www.microbehunter.com/making-a-s ... ing-algae/

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Good luck,
Scibee
kumaramark27

Post by kumaramark27 »

I am sorry for the late response, thank you for all of these good thoughts to set me on the right track. I think I have an idea of what I am going to write. Apparently the science fair was canceled due to COVID-19, but I am still very eager to finish what I have started.
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

That's a good attitude to have and shows real interest in science! If you have more questions about growing algae successfully, please post them and we will try to help or at least steer you to sources on the web where you can get the information you need.

Persistence combined with knowledge = success!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”