(URGENT) Kirby Bauer method: Why are some zones of inhibition cloudy/white and others translucent?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

KolbeA032

(URGENT) Kirby Bauer method: Why are some zones of inhibition cloudy/white and others translucent?

Post by KolbeA032 »

Hi,
I am doing a science fair experiment comparing the effectiveness of penicillin vs. the T4r bacteriophage in killing E. Coli. I am collecting data by measuring the total area of the all the zones of inhibition in each plate. I used the Kirby Bauer method to get zones of inhibition for the penicillin disks, but was confused when some zones were clear and some were a solid whitish color. I was going to write about why this might have occurred in my paper but could not find information online, and my paper is due as soon as possible. Any help would be much appreciated :D

Thanks so much!
LilGreenFrog
Former Expert
Project Question: Joined to be an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: (URGENT) Kirby Bauer method: Why are some zones of inhibition cloudy/white and others translucent?

Post by LilGreenFrog »

Hi Kolbe,
When you say a solid whitish color, do you mean that the agar has turned white? I have some experience with phages, but I really need to see pictures of your plates, could you post some? Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
LilGreenFrog
Molecular and cellular biologist

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”