Is YED agar necessary to grow UV sensitive yeast?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jenniferknwilson

Is YED agar necessary to grow UV sensitive yeast?

Post by jenniferknwilson »

Hi,

Do I have to use YED agar to grow UV sensitive yeast, or will it grow on nutrient agar too? I already have nutrient agar and was wondering if I could use that instead of buying YED agar.

Thank you!
EmmaGriffiths
Student Expert

Re: Is YED agar necessary to grow UV sensitive yeast?

Post by EmmaGriffiths »

Hi!

This is a forum for students, parents, and educators interested in doing science fair projects. Is this question related to a science fair project? If so, please let us know more about your project so we can give you the best advice possible.

Emma
NehaK6
Former Student Expert

Post by NehaK6 »

Hi jenniferknwilson,

Is your question related to the Science Buddies experiment "Exploring DNA Damage: What Effect Do Ultraviolet Rays Have on Yeast Colony Growth?" (link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ge#summary)? I do not know much about types of agar, but based on the directions given there, I think the experiment will be most successful if you use a yeast-extract dextrose medium. I found another website in which they stated the types of agar that many strains of fungi are able to grow on (link: https://blog.microbiologics.com/methods ... and-molds/), but I didn't find the UV-sensitive yeast you are asking about. Nutrient agar is listed on the website, however I'm not sure if it is the best medium to grow the yeast on. Hopefully this helped somewhat, although I know it's not the most comprehensive answer!

Neha
jenniferknwilson

Post by jenniferknwilson »

Hi,
Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I'm planning to do the "Exploring DNA Damage: What Effect Do Ultraviolet Rays Have on Yeast Colony Growth?" experiment on the sciencebuddies.com site. I will try it with the nutrient agar and see what happens!
Thanks!
Jennifer
NehaK6
Former Student Expert

Post by NehaK6 »

Okay, that's great! Let us know how it goes, and if the UV-sensitive yeast is able to grow on the nutrient agar.

Good luck!
Neha

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”