Paw Preference

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Ilovescience99

Paw Preference

Post by Ilovescience99 »

I am doing my science fair experiment on paw preference. I did the experiment by sampling 12 dogs, asking each to shake 3 times with my right and then my left hand and then giving them a treat ball 3 times to see if they used their right or left paws or both. I have completed all the research and o want to make sure that I have my control and variables correct. My controls are how many times I asked the dog to shake with each hands 3 and how many times I gave the treat ball to the dog, and the treats I gave the dogs. My variables in my experiment is which hand I used when asking the dogs to shake (the right or left) and the gender and age of the dogs. Are there any other controls or variables that I should include. Do you have any suggestions the best visual aid or graph for my experiment. Thank you!

[Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ce-in-pets]
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Paw Preference

Post by MrsDez »

This sounds like a fun and interesting science project!
You did a good job identifying your control and variables.

Here is a great guide to understand different variables:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... s#examples

Independent variables are what you change. Dependent variables are what you observe. Controlled variables are what you keep the same.

As for visual aid, think about what would draw you into looking at a presentation board. Do you have pictures of the different dogs? Do you have pictures of your materials and methods? Those will help your reader visually see the experiment.
What data did you collect? You can use this information to present your conclusions in a table or graph.

Let us know if you need further assistance.
Good job!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”