Put these steps in chronological order

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

DarkLegend

Put these steps in chronological order

Post by DarkLegend »

Observation: We brought a block of unsliced cheese on the same day, and it isn't moldy at all.
Hypothesis: I think that sliced cheese gets moldy faster because people touch it more.
Results: After five days, both sets of cheese that I touched are moldy. Both sets of cheese that I left alone have no mold.
Experiment: I keep four separate sets of cheese in the refrigerator: five slices that I touch once a day; five slices that I leave untouched; five cubes of unsliced cheese that I touch once a day; and five cubes of cheese that I leave untouched.
Problem: Why is the sliced cheese in the fridge all moldy?
Conclusion: I was right: Touching is the critical factor in making cheese mold.
Inference: There must be something about sliced cheese that makes it more likely to mold.
kgrivera
Expert

Re: Put these steps in chronological order

Post by kgrivera »

Hi,

Is this question for a science project? The Ask an Expert forums are meant for questions about science projects or experiments. If this is the case, please provide more information about your project so that we can better assist. If not, there are many other websites and resources that you may find more beneficial.

Thank you!
cnoonan180
Expert

Re: Put these steps in chronological order

Post by cnoonan180 »

Hello,

This forum is meant for asking questions about science fair projects only. If this is part of a science fair project, please provide some more context so the mentors here can better assist you with your question.

For your particular question, I recommend checking out this link that goes through the steps of the scientific method and may help you to solve this problem: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... fic-method

Thanks!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”