How R0 shapes an epidemic?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Ineedhelp101

How R0 shapes an epidemic?

Post by Ineedhelp101 »

Basically, I need help with creating an experiment on how scientist use R0 to help contain a virus. I got this project from science buddies and it didnt provide me with a procedure or materials. So I need help with creating my experiment or a math graph.

Any advice would help

Moderator note: Science Buddies project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... er#summary
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How R0 shapes an epidemic?

Post by AmyCowen »

Have you read through the directions on the project and used the "How R₀ Shapes an Epidemic Notebook" linked from the project?

You should be able to follow the directions provided to use SimPandemic:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ion-number
Start by working your way through the How R₀ Shapes an Epidemic Notebook in SimPandemic. When you get to the Sandbox portion of the Notebook, you can run your own simulations to explore questions like:

Does lowering the basic reproduction number, R₀, change the timing and intensity of an outbreak?
What effect does raising the basic reproduction number, R₀, have on the timing and outcomes of an outbreak?
Research the basic reproduction number of other diseases, like influenza, polio, or measles. What would the epidemic have looked like if COVID-19's R₀ range was like one of those diseases?
What specific questions do you have as you work through these directions?

Amy
Science Buddies
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How R0 shapes an epidemic?

Post by AmyCowen »

Also, note that SimPandemic is a free online tool from Science Buddies. It (along with the notebook referenced) is linked from the project. Those are the only materials needs for this project.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”