NEED A CATCHY TITTLE!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ILoveoranges

NEED A CATCHY TITTLE!!

Post by ILoveoranges »

Hello!! I need a catchy title for my project plz. I'm testing to see how many bacteria grow on my face after keeping a face mask on for 8 hours and how many grow after not keeping it on for eight hours and the difference between them both. This is a good project because a lot of people are wearing a face mask during COVID. So plz help me find a good catchy title!! :D :D
I prefer the title to be a question...

Moderator note: I removed your duplicate post. Science Buddies guidelines request that you only post a question once. Thank you for your patience .... the experts are volunteers and try to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks!!
lmp1341
Former Expert

Re: NEED A CATCHY TITTLE!!

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi there!!
I really love your project idea! You're right; it's very relevant to the times we are in currently.

When thinking of a project title for your science fair, your best bet is going to be to stick with the format "Catchy: informative". This way, you can have the first part be a sort of hook to interest potential listeners, and the second part can offer a little more information. For the informative part, you can use the effect of the dependent variable on the independent variable.

In this case, your informative part would be: The effect of facemasks on bacterial growth.

As far as catchy goes, you can have some fun with this part. A few ideas:

"Mask Microbes! The effect of facemask usage on bacterial growth"
"Mini Mask Monsters: The effect of facemask usage on bacterial growth"
"Microscopic Mask Monsters: ......."

Let me know if you'd like some more help or if you have any other questions! We are always happy to help.
Best of luck!

Stay nerdy,
lmp1341
ILoveoranges

Post by ILoveoranges »

Hello!
Thank you so much for your help!!
I really like those ideas you provided me with.....but what about if I use a question as my title because that is what I prefer. A lot of times when there is a question at the beginning of an essay or project the reader/audience wonder what the answer would be which makes them curious and want to know the answer... :?:
lmp1341
Former Expert

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi again,
I'm glad you liked the suggested ideas.

In terms of using a question, I suppose you could use a question in the informative part of your title. For example, you could use one of the suggestions above and then tie it in with your question.

In order to create your question, I would advise you to use your independent and dependent variables. Your essential question should be able to guide you in finding this.

In terms of making it like a "hook" for audience members, you could say something like:

"What's in your facemask?"
"Monsters in your mask: what is the effect of wearing a facemask on bacterial growth?"

I am not familiar with projects that have had titles that are questions, but I certainly like your comparison to essays and books, and I think that as long as your title is informative and includes your Dependent and Independent variable, it should be great.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Stay nerdy,
lmp1341
ILoveoranges

Post by ILoveoranges »

Thank you so much :D
lmp1341
Former Expert

Post by lmp1341 »

You're very welcome!!
If you have any more questions about your project, please don't hesitate to reach out and ask :)

Best of luck!!
lmp1341

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”