Variables Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

HopePressler1

Variables Question

Post by HopePressler1 »

My daughter completed her science fair project about blood types and examined blood under a microscope. She is a little confused about the variables.

Question 1
Can you predict the blood type of a child if you know the blood type of the parents?
Are the variables
Independent - parents’ blood type
Dependent - children’s blood type

Question 2
If you look at blood from different people under the microscope can you see a difference?
Independent variable - Different people
Dependent- visible difference in blood type while viewed under a microscope

I wasn’t sure if she had this correct, and I wanted to check.

Thank you,
Hope
koneill18
Expert

Re: Variables Question

Post by koneill18 »

Hi Hope,

Yes, for those specific questions, I would say those are the correct independent and dependent variables!
cnoonan180
Expert

Re: Variables Question

Post by cnoonan180 »

Hello,

Here is a webpage that provides the definitions of the different variables that may help you to figure out if you have named your variables correctly: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... /variables

A good rule of thumb is to remember that the independent variable is what you are changing and the dependent variable is the change you observe (as a result of changing the independent variable).

Hope this helps!
-cnoonan180

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”