Need a Catchy Science Fair Title ASAP!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

travel_girl08

Need a Catchy Science Fair Title ASAP!

Post by travel_girl08 »

Hello! I am participating in a science fair with some people from my school this year. It is an individual project and will be done virtually due to COVID19. The due date was originally March 21 but was just moved a few days ago to March 8. I'm still in the process of completing my project, but I need a catchy title that will catch the judges eyes as well as one that will stay on their minds. :roll:

This is my science fair project: :D
I am taking water samples in the four different "areas of water" around me. Two are salt water and two are fresh water. I am also taking samples of the sand/mud. :shock: I am then sifted through the water using a sifter and a coffee filter to search for any microplastics. (fingers crossed my water samples actually have microplastics) I'm letting the sand dry pretty thoroughly before just using a sifter to try and find some microplastics there. I am going to measure how much microplastics are in each sample individually as well as weigh the microplastics. I am then going to compare the results from each sample to see if; 1: my hypothesis is correct; 2: find out how much microplastics we really have in our surrounding water bodies. My hypothesis is that there are going to be less microplastics in salt water because the salt water and tides break down the microplastics more easily versus a lake.

All I have so far for my title is ":Microplastics in Our Surrounding Water Bodies," :? and even that, I'm not so sure about. Can you give me some help on a title ASAP? Thanks :) :wink:

travel_girl08 :mrgreen:
{revised[2]}
hummch
Former Expert

Re: Need a Catchy Science Fair Title ASAP!

Post by hummch »

Hi travel_girl08,

This is a great science fair project topic! I would love to hear more about the results you get from your experiment.

Since microplastics and plastic pollution are prominent topics right now, I think you'll project will already attract a lot of attention. For your title, consider the title formula of catchy: informative. An example for your title could be "Are You Drinking Plastic?: Microplastics in our Local Water Bodies"

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Cat
cnoonan180
Expert

Re: Need a Catchy Science Fair Title ASAP!

Post by cnoonan180 »

Hello!

This is such an interesting and important project idea!

A combination of a catchy and informative portion of your whole title is a great way to create a title that attracts your audience's attention and tells people a little bit of information about your project is trying to do/find/measure.discover. Good ideas to use in addition to that title format (catchy: informative) are to think of an acronym, rhyme, or other word/series of words that are easy for people to remember.

For your project, some ideas that may help you to brainstorm are:

1. Malicious Microplastics: Finding Microplastics in Bodies of Water
(This title would be a good idea to use if you plan to talk about any negative effects microplastics have on human health when found in freshwater/drinking water or the harm microplastics can do to marine ecosystems if found in saltwater)

2. Myriad Microplastics: Finding Microplastics in Bodies of Water Near (sample area)

Hope this helps!
-cnoonan180

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”