Fingerprint project data collection

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

7dfc7657d58147978616049e358de90d

Fingerprint project data collection

Post by 7dfc7657d58147978616049e358de90d »

I'm doing a project where you have to collect fingerprints and compare them to find out if fingerprints are inherited. I wont go too much into detail but basically i need to collect fingerprints categorize them and find out if they are inherited or not. It says it wants sibling pairs but I might now be able to get all of the pairs. I'm wondering if you could compare children to their parents. I know you can but im not sure if its in the projects guidelines the part where it says this is on 3D and the link is https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure
Any answers would be appreciated
lmp1341
Former Expert

Re: Fingerprint project data collection

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi there,

Sounds like you have a really interesting project underway! The fun part about science is that you can alter experiments to be your own. So all you'd have to do for this one is change your project to comparing parent-child fingerprints to unrelated fingerprints. I am pretty sure that it still counts as "inheritance" and you could absolutely modify your experiment to examine inheritence of fingerprints from parents to their children. But make sure you stick to this and don't ALSO do sibling pairs, as that might make your experiment a bit confusing.

Does this make sense? As long as you consistently apply the change to the guidelines throughout the project, you can alter the project in any way! This parent-child and unrelated pair idea sounds great.

Let us know if you happen to have any other questions and we will do our very best to help!!

Stay Nerdy,
lmp1341
7dfc7657d58147978616049e358de90d

Re: Fingerprint project data collection

Post by 7dfc7657d58147978616049e358de90d »

lmp1341 wrote:Hi there,

Sounds like you have a really interesting project underway! The fun part about science is that you can alter experiments to be your own. So all you'd have to do for this one is change your project to comparing parent-child fingerprints to unrelated fingerprints. I am pretty sure that it still counts as "inheritance" and you could absolutely modify your experiment to examine inheritence of fingerprints from parents to their children. But make sure you stick to this and don't ALSO do sibling pairs, as that might make your experiment a bit confusing.

Does this make sense? As long as you consistently apply the change to the guidelines throughout the project, you can alter the project in any way! This parent-child and unrelated pair idea sounds great.

Let us know if you happen to have any other questions and we will do our very best to help!!

Stay Nerdy,
lmp1341
thanks, I decided to stick to the parent-child pairs but the project is already finished but thanks for replying it still helps me for future projects and makes me feel more confident about this one.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”