Phytoremediation of pesticides- degration of pesticides

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Ok!

I just took the pics of my plants and I just want to know what the science buddies email is so that I can send them. Thank you!

- Joanne
"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
-Anatole France
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

I'm guessing scibuddy@sciencebuddies.org is the one to try.
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Louise wrote:
Starfruit wrote:Hello :)

Thank you so much. Using my second method of phytoremediation, some of my alfalfa plants have wilted and died. It was when the roots of the plants were dangled into the nutrient solution, while the plant was held up on the cardboard.I was wondering if you knew if distilled water cause the plants to die. Maybe because the distilled water has no minerals at all. I checked the pH of tap water and it is neutral so I don't think it matters that much if I used tap water instead of distilled water.
The roots are delicate so they may have gotten damaged when you hung them? I don't think tap vs. distilled is a problem, but usually people recommend distilled because tap water has chloring which can hurt the plants.
something else is that my radish plants aren't germinating. I planted them on Monday and I don't know what is the problem. My friend gave them to be and it might be expired. Do you think I have enough time to buy a new pack?
Yes, some radishes will grow very fast- check the package and look for the shortest number of days (like 21). Sunlight (or a lamp) might help them grow better. For example- summer variety of radish have radishes in 3 weeks (21 days). Other kinds of radish can take 2 months (65 days)!
You should have sprouting in three days... Here are some nice pictures and instructions. (I think this is how you are doing this already)
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-1 ... --,00.html

This is getting me worried, the science fair is due early april. But I guess it's ok if my hypothesis doesn't work out? Should I change my new question to: Does radish plants phytoremediate citric acid? Sine the variables are too much and also the alfafla might not do well in the acid.
It is fine if your hypothesis doesn't work out! Most of the time my hypotheses are wrong. The important thing is that you understand what happened, and can come up with a new experiment. If you were a full-time scientist, you would do the new experiment- as a science fair student, you should just be able to tell the judges what you would do in the future if you were to continue.

But don't give up! I think the new radishes will be fine. And I think you should try to email us the picture of your hanging plants, so we can see if something looks wrong. Also, were the roots in water, or water with fertiliser?

Louise
Hi!
Thank you for all your help. I'm done most of my sci fair brocheur and write-up for the board. Just missing the experiment outcome. I actually germinated the radish seeds like that but I first I soaked them in a cup of water for a day. Then I just put them in paper towels and in a sealed cup under a lamp.

My plants are grown in the distilled water with fertiliser. So I'm just going to change my hypothesis to: Does radish plants phytoremediate ascorbic and citric acid? .. Since the alfalfa plants will probably die because they are already dieing when I just grew them dangling in the water. Maybe the plant roots got damaged, but I was very careful when I inserted them in the netting. Some of the roots were like that when I took them out of the cottonball. Maybe the main root that touched the water was kind of 'squished' and broken so the water can't get into the plant. My radish seeds say they become edible in 3 weeks! Well What if the 'radish' part of the root gets too heavy? Are radish plants normal to grow hydroponically. Also, has anyone attempted to phytoremediate acids? I googled it but found some people that phytoremediated AMD but I couldn't find if plants phytoremediated acids.

Thank you so much for helping me! I just attached the pictures and sent them to scibuddies. If you need any additional pictures, then just tell me. I took like a ton and just attached some.
- Joanne
"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
-Anatole France
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Since the alfalfa plants will probably die because they are already dieing when I just grew them dangling in the water. Maybe the plant roots got damaged, but I was very careful when I inserted them in the netting. Some of the roots were like that when I took them out of the cottonball. Maybe the main root that touched the water was kind of 'squished' and broken so the water can't get into the plant.
I think this is exactly right. One of the pictures you sent is a close up of one root that looks pinched. What you can try, if you want, is to take a very sharp knife (get help/permission from your parents first) and cut the plant in half. The top of the plant and the undamaged root should be one half and then the pinched part and the bottom half of the root should be the other part. Throw away the bottom part, and refill the water so the new, short root is submerged. This may not work, but if you cut with a very sharp knife, it minimizes the damage to the root and it may heal.

My radish seeds say they become edible in 3 weeks! Well What if the 'radish' part of the root gets too heavy?
I'm guessing you won't actually get radishes for two reasons- there isn't the right type and amount of sunlight and once you start adding the acid, the plant will be stressed.

Are radish plants normal to grow hydroponically.
They aren't "normal", since usually people don't like radishes as much as tomotoes or lettuces, which are the "normal" plants that are grown. But you can grow them hydroponically- here is a website about an AP biology class that did this:
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110342/ ... xp2_1.html

Apparently magnesium is very important so check your fertiliser. Also, don't eat your radishes- the students used fertilizer designed for food plants- I think you said your's was for aquatic plants, so it may have things in there you would not want to eat.

Also, has anyone attempted to phytoremediate acids? I googled it but found some people that phytoremediated AMD but I couldn't find if plants phytoremediated acids.
What is AMD? I haven't found anything about acids. Mostly people are concerned with metals. There are some examples of remediating chemicals- like poplar trees are used to clean up trichloroethylene (TCE) which is thought to cause cancer.

Louise
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Hi,

Thanks and I'll try the root cutting thing. AMD is acid mine drainage. Water needs to be pumped out to be mined and when the mines are no longer active, all the water is released and it usually consists of acids like sulfuric and metals. It is a major problem and is harmful to the environment. Yes they usually phytoremediate things like PCB.
The fertiliser says it is Iron enriched and has chelated Nitrogen (0.15 %), Chelated Iron ( 0.26%), Chelated Manganese ( 0.05%), Chelated Zinc (0.003%) etc...
I "Manganese" or MN, Magnesium?
Thanks so much :)
-Joanne
-Anatole France
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Starfruit wrote:Hi,

Thanks and I'll try the root cutting thing. AMD is acid mine drainage. Water needs to be pumped out to be mined and when the mines are no longer active, all the water is released and it usually consists of acids like sulfuric and metals. It is a major problem and is harmful to the environment. Yes they usually phytoremediate things like PCB.
The fertiliser says it is Iron enriched and has chelated Nitrogen (0.15 %), Chelated Iron ( 0.26%), Chelated Manganese ( 0.05%), Chelated Zinc (0.003%) etc...
I "Manganese" or MN, Magnesium?
Thanks so much :)
-Joanne
No, cofusingly enough. They are both elements, but have very different properties. Magnesium is Mg, and Maganese is Mn. The website I sent you to found that the control group with no magnesium did not die because there is magnesium in tap water too, but the plants with added magnesium did better.

Sorry that I forgot what AMD was... in those studies were they checking both the metal levels and the acid levels, or were they just concerned about the metals? If we cannot find anything, that is okay- it means you are doing new work!

Louise
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Hi,

I think AMD studies say then mostly phytoremediate metals but reducing acitity levels are just as important. Well, to neutralize it that is. I will add magnesium but where would I get it? At the plant shop where I got my fertiliser? I think it would have to be chelated right?

- Joanne
-Anatole France
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Starfruit wrote:Hi,

I think AMD studies say then mostly phytoremediate metals but reducing acitity levels are just as important. Well, to neutralize it that is. I will add magnesium but where would I get it? At the plant shop where I got my fertiliser? I think it would have to be chelated right?

- Joanne
A common source of magnesium is "Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)". You can buy this in any drug store. It is commonly used to make a bath to soak in for skin problems.

If you can find this, post back here and I will calculate how much Magnesium sulphate you need to add to water to make the correct concentration solutioon. I'll post the calculations here as well. [ Have you had chemistry yet? ]

Louise
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Hi!
Thanks for you advice!
I bought the (Magnesium sulfate USP) Epsom salts today. For each cup, I use about 230 mL of fertiliser and distilled water solution. I need about 6 cups for the radish and 6 cups for the alfalfa.
The dilution rate for the fertiliser is:
5mL=37.8L
1 mL= 7560mL
or 0.1 mL=756mL
The Alfalfa is doing fine but then the radish not too good. Some wilted and shrunk. I think it means magnesium deficiency. Should I put magnesium solution for both the alfalfa and the radish or just the radish? I think though, they both should have the same things to make it controlled. It would be appreciated :D if you posted the calfulations in the metric system (cm,mL, g) rather that the imperial system but it doesn't matter. I can just do the conversions.

Thanks so much for helping me :)
- Joanne
-Anatole France
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer that question..no I did not take chemistry yet. I'm only in middle school.

thanks,
- Joanne :)
-Anatole France
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Starfruit wrote:Hi!
Thanks for you advice!
I bought the (Magnesium sulfate USP) Epsom salts today. For each cup, I use about 230 mL of fertiliser and distilled water solution. I need about 6 cups for the radish and 6 cups for the alfalfa.
The dilution rate for the fertiliser is:
5mL=37.8L
1 mL= 7560mL
or 0.1 mL=756mL
The Alfalfa is doing fine but then the radish not too good. Some wilted and shrunk. I think it means magnesium deficiency. Should I put magnesium solution for both the alfalfa and the radish or just the radish? I think though, they both should have the same things to make it controlled. It would be appreciated :D if you posted the calfulations in the metric system (cm,mL, g) rather that the imperial system but it doesn't matter. I can just do the conversions.

Thanks so much for helping me :)
- Joanne

It actually doesn't require any chemistry. It is actaully in mass and not moles (chemistry term).

The radish link said that for the diluted solution you would apply to plants, you would want 513 g epsom salt/ 1000 L (that isn't a typo- the recipe makes a LOT of solution). So, this works out to 0.513g / 1 L. So, if you are making 756 mL of fertilizer, you would use 0.39 g of epsom salt. Procedurally, I would take the 756 mL of water, and add the salt. Make sure it all dissolves and then add the 0.1mL of fertilizer.

I would add this to both plants. All plants need magnesium. Most hydroponic solutions include magnesium.

Louise
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Hi!

Sorry I didn't reply in so long. My plants look great now and the epsom salt is working. Just to let you know that I'm adding 0.5 mL of lemon juice per cup that is 230 mL or distilled water+epsom salt+fertiliser. Can you tell me if this will work out? If it doesn't, then can you tell me what amount of lemon juice is suitable for a change in pH of about like 0.5 - just to not kill the plant at that time.

- Thank you so much!

Joanne
-Anatole France
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Sorry I didn't reply in so long. My plants look great now and the epsom salt is working. Just to let you know that I'm adding 0.5 mL of lemon juice per cup that is 230 mL or distilled water+epsom salt+fertiliser. Can you tell me if this will work out? If it doesn't, then can you tell me what amount of lemon juice is suitable for a change in pH of about like 0.5 - just to not kill the plant at that time.

- Thank you so much!

Joanne
Can you get pH paper from school? As we talked about earlier, the lemons can have very different acidities... I could calculate a "typical value" but it would be much better if you just measured what your lemon juice was in pH.

Pure lemon juice should be about pH = 2. You are adding very little lemon juice, so your pH is not very acidic. You will want to move toward "pure" lemon juice. I would slowly reduce the water in your fertilizer mixture and replace that volume with lemon juice, so eventually you are working with 230 mL of lemon juice + fertilizer + salt (and no water).

I am not sure if you are asking how much to change the pH to 0.5 or if you want to reduce it by 0.5 (from pH=7 to pH= 6.5)?

Glad the epsom salt is working and the plants seem to be healthy!

Louise
Starfruit

Post by Starfruit »

Hi!

The pH of the lemon juice is about 2.5. I got the pH paper from my science teacher. I can't reduce the amount of water. It has to stay at 230 mL. But I can adjust the amount of lemon juice. I want to add 0.5 mL of lemon juice to the solution that is 230 mL. I have to gradually make it more acidic because I don't want the plants to die in the first day. I want to just put enough every day so that the plants will live and can adapt to the gradually increasing acidity of the solution. I actually want to increase the pH (acidity) little by little. Until there is a stop, like the plants show sign that is can't handle the acidity. they I will stop and find the amount they phytoremediate. I just want to make it more acidic every day like make it more LESS actually. Sorry I made a mistake. Not increase the number but just more acidic

- thanks for you help
Joanne
-Anatole France
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

The pH of the lemon juice is about 2.5. I got the pH paper from my science teacher. I can't reduce the amount of water. It has to stay at 230 mL. But I can adjust the amount of lemon juice. I want to add 0.5 mL of lemon juice to the solution that is 230 mL. I have to gradually make it more acidic because I don't want the plants to die in the first day. I want to just put enough every day so that the plants will live and can adapt to the gradually increasing acidity of the solution. I actually want to increase the pH (acidity) little by little. Until there is a stop, like the plants show sign that is can't handle the acidity. they I will stop and find the amount they phytoremediate. I just want to make it more acidic every day like make it more LESS actually. Sorry I made a mistake. Not increase the number but just more acidic

- thanks for you help
Joanne
All I meant is that you can start using lemon juice _as_ water when you need to get more acidity. Lemon juice is mostly water, so if you need to get to pH 2.5, you can make up your solutions with lemon juice instead of water.

What I meant about pH is that water is pH=7. Lemon juice is pH=2. So, pH=6.5 is more acidic than water. What is the pH of the fertilizer solution?

Louise

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”