Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:11 am
I am doing a science fair project about bacteria in the bathroom and in everyone of my petri dishes there are red dot colonies. What are the red colred dots in my petri dish?
adizzlybear wrote:I am doing a science fair project about bacteria in the bathroom and in everyone of my petri dishes there are red dot colonies. What are the red colred dots in my petri dish?
Bacteria are ubiquitous, and live within the human gut, and in every corner of our environment. We come in contact with bacteria on a daily basis. Handwashing is 99.9% effective at decontaminating ourselves from bacteria which may reside on the skin. Thus, when the proper safety precautions are taken, colonies of microorganisms can be safely isolated from homes, yards, gardens, etc. The majority of microorganisms are non-pathogenic, but bacterial cultures or petri plates containing any type of bacterial colonies should only be treated with general safety precautions. Household bleach at 10% strength, or general common household cleaning reagents (409, Fantastic, Lysol, etc.), are effective at decontaminating all bacteria, and should be used at the completion of the study.
MeteroiteRCool wrote:Actually, I did have one more question. . . Has anyone ever heard anything about chrysalis school montana? I go to a standard high school, but I'm thinking of enrolling elsewhere and I wanna know how they are. If anyone does know anything about them, do you know if they have good science programs as well? I do want to keep experimenting in school. Thanks again!