Bacteria

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

GreigStein

Bacteria

Post by GreigStein »

This is an interview that I must conduct to complete my research to my prodject.

What exactally is bacteria, and how is it harmful to humans?

How is bacteria most effectively killed or reduced? What kinds of bacteria are there? What kind of bacteria most commonly grows in meat? At what temperature is bacteria killed? How durrable is bacteria, and how long does it take to be killed in an oven? What amount of bacteria is harmful to humans, and what amount is fatal?
scibudadmin
Site Admin

Post by scibudadmin »

GreigStein,

Can you clarify what you are requesting? You mention that you need to do an interview for your project but the questions you list sound like they could be answered with some simple research on your part. Have you tried searching for answers on the internet or at the library?

Please clarify how your research questions are related to your interview. It will help us assist you better.

Regards,
Melissa G.
Science Buddies Staff
GreigStein

Bacteria

Post by GreigStein »

Sorry for asking such vauge questions. Here are some modified questions, more specific to my experiment. These questions are also only supposed to make sure that my research is correct, and not neccesaraly to give me new information.

Are all types of bacteria harmful to humans?

Do specific kinds of bacteria only grow in some types of the world?

What kind of heat most effectively kills bacteria? (ex: radiant)

Is there a product you can put on your food to kill bacteria?

Is meat better killed by a grill, oven, or microwave?

Do factories previously kill the bacteria on meat, or is it up to the consumer to do this?

Thank you for responding to these questions, because my prodject is due in only a couple of days.
rebeccamaman
Former Expert

Bacteria

Post by rebeccamaman »

Greg, Bacteria are single celled organisms. Not all bacteria are harmful, some are essential for us to live. Are you doing a project about disease causing bacteria? You mentioned meat, do you need to know what bactieria can contaminate meat and cause disease? I can recommend a web site for picturesneed them for your project. The Centers for Disease Control web site has an image bank with great bacteria pictures. There may be some other information on the CDC site that would be helpful for your project.

http://www.cdc.gov/
Rebecca Aman MS, CLS (NCA)

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”