Looking for solar project for 7 year old

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

teren

Looking for solar project for 7 year old

Post by teren »

ShannonE13 wrote:Dear Mr. Bridge and Mr. Wiggins,

On behalf of my son, Craig, I would like to say thank you for all your help. He only had a total of 9 weeks to complete his Intel ISEF Middle School Science Fair Project, from start to finish. Personally, I felt like the school was not giving them enough times to do the Intel ISEF. My feelings have been validated when I found that most students get 30 weeks to complete this Science Fair.

It was a very stressful process for him, with his advanced course work load, youth group activities, community services hours and science fair all at one time. He enjoys science and would love to do harder projects, which I cannot help with. :) Craig has stated that he plans on starting next years science fair in January giving him time if he finds himself stuck, and requiring expert assistance.

As for this year, Craig decided to only run the electrolysis process in the fuel cell using his solar panel. He collected the average input voltage, average input current, time it took to electrolyze the water into hydrogen and oxygen data, and compared those results with the results from last year using batteries. He found that the average input voltage was much lower with the solar panel, the average input current was a little lower, and the time to electrolyze water took much longer. It took the solar panel an average of 29 minutes, and the batteries an average of 2 minutes. He found that even though the residential solar panels was rated at 3 volts, it only put out 1.5 volts even during full sunlight. There is much more to it than that and he wrote it all out in his paper, but this is the part that I understood. :)

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and support. If you know anyone in the Pasco County Florida area who might be able to give Craig more guidance in this field, please let me know. This is just not my field of expertise.

Shannon
Hello,

I am looking for a good solar power project for my 7 years old kid.
So can you please suggest me which type solar power projects are effective as well as easy to understand for kids??
Thanks for any appreciation.
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Looking for solar project for 7 year old

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello!

There is a tab labeled "Project Ideas" at the upper left side of the website. Once you click, you can either use the topic selection wizard under the "Help Me Find a Project" tab or use the search tool under the "Search for a Project" tab. These will allow you to search for many projects that are beginner level and relate to solar panels. Some examples are, "Are You in Hot Water?" and "The Frightened Grasshopper." I hope this helps you find a science experiment that your child will enjoy!

Sincerely,
Kayli Masuda

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”