Ideas on how a study on paper airplane designs can be more environmental?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Blancii

Ideas on how a study on paper airplane designs can be more environmental?

Post by Blancii »

Hello! :D My group and I have agreed on doing our investigatory project on how the shape or model of a paper airplane can affect how far it can fly, and this has already been approved by our science teacher. I would just like to ask for some ideas on how this project can be environmentally-friendly, or at least have a positive benefit to the environment. I've already thought of using recycled bond papers for the paper we will use when we conduct our trials, but other than that, my mind has drawn a blank. Oops! :roll:

I would be grateful for any suggestions that you can give, thank you very much and have a good day! :D
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Ideas on how a study on paper airplane designs can be more environmental?

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello!
I'm so glad that you're thinking of the environment during research. The bond paper is a great idea, as well as any paper labeled “100 percent post-consumer recycled content” and “processed chlorine free.” Another option (if your paper size is the typical 8.5 by 11 inches) is to utilize your school's "useless" paper, such as the extra copies of an assignment or announcement.
Moving on to a positive impact (or the "Why are you researching this?"), you could possibly relate it to actual production. For example, if one small design is better though it requires less paper, this could be referred to as "optimizing materials." Or maybe you will go beyond the paper and describe how your research relates to the production of real planes. The possibilities are there, so just keep thinking!

Sincerely,
Kayli Masuda :D
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: Ideas on how a study on paper airplane designs can be more environmental?

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, but it sounds like you've been given some excellent ideas! Obviously, using the most environmentally friendly paper you can find for your paper airplanes is ideal. In addition to using "100 percent post-consumer recycled content" paper, you could also try to find tree-free paper, which uses fibers from alternative agricultural products rather than trees so as to reduce the industry's carbon footprint. Furthermore, as Kayli suggested, you could research further into how the airplane industry works to reduce its emissions/be more environmentally friendly when designing its airplanes. Have fun!

Sincerely,
Elena Lee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”