hovercraft procedure list

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lizabethhall

Post by lizabethhall »

Hi! My student is doing the hovercraft S.F. Project. He is also modifying it by testing different hovercrafts with different plastics on them to test speed and agility .

They want to know IF (for the Procedure) he needs to list the step-by-step procedure on how he built them or would the Procedure be a step-by-step list lining up the hover craft and testing the 2 different plastics for speed and agility?

Or, does he include steps for both?

Thank you,
Liz
lizabethhall

Post by lizabethhall »

Hi! My student is doing the hovercraft S.F. Project. He is also modifying it by testing different hovercrafts with different plastics on them to test speed and agility .

They want to know IF (for the Procedure) he needs to list the step-by-step procedure on how he built them or would the Procedure be a step-by-step list lining up the hover craft and testing the 2 different plastics for speed and agility?

Or, does he include steps for both?

Thank you,
Liz
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: hovercraft procedure list

Post by norman40 »

Hello Liz,

Are you working on the project described here at the following link?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary

If you're asking about what procedures to include in the project report, my suggestion is to include a description of how the hovercraft were built and a description of how they were tested.

Additional information about what to include in a project report can be found here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... nal-report

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
jkarnes
Former Expert

Post by jkarnes »

Hi Liz,

If you're interested in how to grade this project that's totally up to you.

When doing experiments like this professionally some scientists will simply cite the work from which they draw their initial procedures and meticulously note any deviations. Others will cite and re-write the procedures in their own words which (in theory) clarifies and distills the procedure.

In university teaching labs that I've led (which allow little deviation from procedure) we'll usually ask the students to rewrite the procedure in their own words and require them to work from their (and their lab partner's) procedures.

Hope this helps,

-John
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi, there. We combined two separate threads being discussed for this topic. You can ask all further questions on this thread.

Good luck, and thanks for using Science Buddies!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”