Project Fail Confusion

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

2bff08b3061c4a5eacd38933890e817f

Project Fail Confusion

Post by 2bff08b3061c4a5eacd38933890e817f »

My question for my science project was: does adding water make a trampoline bouncier? My hypothesis was yes because water will make the trampoline weigh more causing more downward force causing more upward force. We tested the hypothesis with a bowling ball dropped on an "x" from the same height. The wet trampoline actually bounced less and now I'm confused
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project Fail Confusion

Post by norman40 »

Hi,

Based on the information you posted, it seems that your experimental results do not support your hypothesis. This outcome is not all that unusual in science. It just means that there must be an explanation for your results that's different from your hypothesis.

You're correct that more downward force can result in more upward force. But trampolines use springs to produce “bounce”. And there are limits to how much a spring can be stretched. You may need to consider the trampoline springs to explain your results.

My suggestion is that you do some background research on the physics of how trampolines work. For example you may find the article at the following link helpful:

https://www.rebounderz.com/apopka/tramp ... es-bouncy/

I'm sure that an online search will turn up other useful articles about the physics behind trampolines.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”