Neerraj

Underground water detection system

Postby Neerraj » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:31 am

Hi sir or maam,

My name is Neerraj, and I trying to create a device that accurately sense underground water. I researched the internet and came up with dowsing and some water divining method prototypes. I wanted to make sure dowsing was a reliable way of finding water but then I realised that two twigs have nothing to do with water. I was determined to find a scientific solution, that's when I realised that sound waves travel in different speeds in different types of matter. So is there anyway I can sense this change of speed. Also though I am skeptical about water divination using dosing, is there actually some science behind dowsing?

Yours thankfully,
Neerraj
:D

norman40
Expert

Re: Underground water detection system

Postby norman40 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi Neerraj,

Dowsing is not a reliable way of detecting underground water and there is no scientific basis for it.

The following has a description of how geological survey and test drilling is used to find groundwater:

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/wate ... er_objects

And you may find other information of interest in the USGS website.

It might be possible to use sound speed differences to detect water as you suggest. A quick online search did not turn up any references to instruments based on this principle.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”