crystal radio

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Powfam06
Project Question: I am doing a project on disinfecting water with UV light. The Tryptic soy agar plates listed are not available. What should I use instead?
Project Due Date: March 16,2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

crystal radio

Post by Powfam06 »

I build the crystal radio and it doesn't work. I wrapped the coils on a glass bottle. One of the coils in the middle moved out of place when I was sanding and it wont go back in its spot. It sits loosely on top of other coils. Could this cause it not to work? I turned the bottle around and sanded a new strip. Will having 2 sanded strips cause it not to work?
thank you
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: crystal radio

Post by rmarz »

Powfam06 - I'm not sure what radio design you are building, but it sounds like you have a tightly wound coil around your coil form, and the sanded strip you refer to is to allow a contact wire or slider to move across the bared copper coils to tune the inductor. If you rewound the coil after it had been sanded a first time, it's very possible that there are opportunities for the coil to 'short out' as adjacent turns possibly come into contact with each other. To be safe, you might want to rewind the coil with new, copper magnet wire, fix it in place with some adhesive, a few lines of 'hot glue' or other means of securing it to the form, then lightly sanding a narrow strip for the slider. I may be assuming the wrong design here, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”