Measuring vitamins in food

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Barney77
Project Question: I am endeavouring to create a biofuel out of certain plants such as variegated thistle and capeweed.
Project Due Date: Unsure of the exact date, however the first science fair is around the first week of September so before then.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Measuring vitamins in food

Post by Barney77 »

My science fair project is investigating the effects of different heating methods (open fire, microwave, open, hot water etc...) on the nutrients and vitamins in food. I haven't been able to find a lot of research that suggests that microwaving or in fact heating food or liquids (I am particularly focussing on milk for the liquids) destroys the vitamins and nutrients, so that is what I would like to test. The problem is that I have found an OK way to test for vitamin C, but I really need to find a way to test for the vitamin B group, specifically vitamin B12 and possibly an easier way to test for vitamin C and the other nutrients in milk and other foods (I think I will be testing milk, pasta, cake, meat and bread).

First of all, I would like to test how much is in it before I heat it and then afterwards. I am doing this for the PICSE science fair in Tasmania, which is in August, although we are commencing experimentation very soon and would obviously like to repeat my experiment to get maximum results.

Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Measuring vitamins in food

Post by Craig_Bridge »

One of the challenges that ALL science projects face is figuring out how to measure things within your budget and skill level.

Have you researched "chemical assay for vitamin B12"?
The following is a paper on different assay methods for B12: http://www.iioab.org/Vol2(2)2011/Karmi% ... 23-32p.pdf
I don't see any inexpensive or easy to perform ones that aren't subject to interference by other substances or don't require expensive equipment.
-Craig
Barney77
Project Question: I am endeavouring to create a biofuel out of certain plants such as variegated thistle and capeweed.
Project Due Date: Unsure of the exact date, however the first science fair is around the first week of September so before then.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Measuring vitamins in food

Post by Barney77 »

Thanks heaps for your help! :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”