Solar cells

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

myth
Project Question: Antioxidants in food
Project Due Date: 9/20/2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Solar cells

Post by myth »

Hi ,
I am trying to do experiment on solar cells like how amount of light and wavelength of light varies the output of a solar cell.Can you suggest some variations to this so that my experiment will be better and more unique.

Thanks
myth
SamDaniel
Project Question: your registration
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Solar cells

Post by SamDaniel »

myth wrote:Hi ,
I am trying to do experiment on solar panels like how amount of light and wavelength of light varies the output of a solar cell.Can you suggest some variations to this so that my experiment will be better and more unique.

Thanks

myth
Do wavelength matters in the output of solar cells? I am looking to buy new solar cells so what factors should I consider.
Last edited by SamDaniel on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Solar cells

Post by kgudger »

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Yes, light frequency (color) does affect the output of solar cells. https://wiki.uoregon.edu/download/attac ... lor+R2.pdf
In fact, this principle is used to increase the efficiency of solar panels by stacking transparent solar cells which collect photons of different energies (light wavelengths.) You might investigate this as a different experiment. Besides purchased standard silicon solar cells, you can find instructions on how to make your own on the internet and compare different types.

Keith

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”