Line following robot does not work. Please help

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ashisha7i
Project Question: I am working on the "Line Following Robot" with my daughter using the kit from Jameco as suggested. Assembled the model and circuit as per the diagrams and instructuins online.
The robot does not move at all when we connect the batteries.Tried moving the sensors close to the surface but to no avail.
Any ideas on what could be wrong. Is there a way to trroubleshoot the components (transistor/sensor). We checked that the infra-red light on the sensor is lit (using a digital camera)
Project Due Date: 01/26/15
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Line following robot does not work. Please help

Post by ashisha7i »

Hi,

My daughter selected this project for her science fair this year.
I have been working with her for a few days now but can simply not get the robot working. (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p021.shtml). I have bought the kit from Jameco Electronics and have assembled the robot as per the instructions. However, even after double checking the connections several times over the last 3 days - the robot simply does not move at all.
I have checked that the infra red LEDs on the optical sensor assembly are working (looking through my digital camera) and also verified the pinout of the transistor from this forum (Base, Collector, Emitter - with TIP102 printed side facing me).
Not sure about the sensor though - I am using the following config (holding it pin up and going clockwise from the blunt/flat corner - Collector (C), Emitter (E), Anode (A), Cathode (K).
Not sure on what's wrong with the circuit.
Is there any way to trouble shoot the individual components/pieces of circuit to narrow down the problem.
Prompt response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ashish
ashisha7i

Project Question: I am working on the "Line Following Robot" with my daughter using the kit from Jameco as suggested. Assembled the model and circuit as per the diagrams and instructuins online.
The robot does not move at all when we connect the batteries.Tried moving the sensors close to the surface but to no avail.
Any ideas on what could be wrong. Is there a way to trroubleshoot the components (transistor/sensor). We checked that the infra-red light on the sensor is lit (using a digital camera)
Project Due Date: 01/26/15
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Line following robot does not work. Please help

Post by amyc »

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”