Guitar Fundamentals: Wavelength, Frequency, & Speed

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ElliotASA

Guitar Fundamentals: Wavelength, Frequency, & Speed

Post by ElliotASA »

Can you please further explain how to complete step #11 in this project? (Using your length and frequency data and the equation v = fλ, calculate the speed of the wave on each string. Remember that the wavelength of the fundamental (lowest) frequency of a vibrating string is twice the length of the string.) I tried to carry it out, but my velocity results didn't make sense. For example, on String #1 open fret I got 410.2 m/s, for fret 1 I got 413.4 m/s, so on... but then there were ups and downs, like Fret 11 got 118.4 m/s, and Fret 12 got 407 m/s. Help please!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Guitar Fundamentals: Wavelength, Frequency, & Speed

Post by norman40 »

Hi ElliotASA,

I’m assuming that you are working on the project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary

From the information you posted it appears that something might be wrong with the data you have for fret 11. My suggestion is to re-check your string length and frequency measurements and see if you get a velocity closer to 410 m/s values you noted for other frets.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
MoffattMiniFarm

Post by MoffattMiniFarm »

Hi there, I know this is an older post but I really need some help. My 9 year old son is doing this project for his Science fair and we are slightly confused on how to find the wavelength of each string (at each fret) I understand that for the open string notes you just take the string length X 2. But how do I calculate the wavelength for all of the other frets? Is it just the string length X 2 on all of them? I have been trying to do research but all i seem to find is only the calculation for the first harmonic (or the open notes) Thank you so much. ( I also know nothing about guitars so this is very hard for me to help him with, :( but he is determined to do this project.)
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi MoffattMiniFarm,

The effective length of a guitar string is the distance between the saddle and fret. For an open string the length is the distance between the saddle and nut. The wavelength of the fundamental is always two times the effective string length.

The following background information may be helpful to you:

http://www.bsharp.org/physics/guitar

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”