Does Temperature OF Vinegar Effect the Reaction Rate Between Vinegar and Bicarbonate Soda?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Hank7421

Does Temperature OF Vinegar Effect the Reaction Rate Between Vinegar and Bicarbonate Soda?

Post by Hank7421 »

I have done a project on this question and I do not know scientifically why my results are the way they are. I found that the colder the Vinegar the more Carbon Dioxide Released but the hotter the Vinegar the quicker the reaction was.
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Does Temperature OF Vinegar Effect the Reaction Rate Between Vinegar and Bicarbonate Soda?

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hey there!
The temperature of vinegar does increase the rate of reaction according to the collision theory. This theory basically states that reactions occur when reactant molecules bump (or collide) into each other. When you increase the temperature, which is the average speed of the molecules, the quicker speed makes it more likely for them to bump into each other. Therefore, the reaction is quicker due to the increase in collisions.
The colder vinegar should not produce more carbon dioxide. The vinegar and bicarbonate soda reaction is endothermic*, meaning that the reaction requires heat to form products. Cold vinegar is a disadvantage. The colder vinegar would need more heat to produce carbon dioxide. Therefore, there should be less carbon dioxide produced when the vinegar is cold. Your results may be due to limitations in measuring devices or a lack of controlled variables.

*If the reaction was EXOthermic, this means that it would produce more if the reactants are cold. Therefore, your results match the expected outcome of an EXOthermic reaction.

I hope that helps!
-Kayli Masuda :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”