Hacking the Air Gap: Stealing Data from a Computer that isn't Connected to the Internet

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

e0418e3f2564436783e36b2a2aecb073

Hacking the Air Gap: Stealing Data from a Computer that isn't Connected to the Internet

Post by e0418e3f2564436783e36b2a2aecb073 »

Hello Moderators,

I am trying to do this project for my 6th grade Science Fair and I am running into a problem with sending binary signals from the computer. I am using Google Science App to record signals but don't know how to send binary signals using one of the physical quantity. Can you help ? Is there any app or code from any website that I can use?

Regards,
Arjun Parmar
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Hacking the Air Gap: Stealing Data from a Computer that isn't Connected to the Internet

Post by bfinio »

Hi Arjun,

This is an advanced project and will require some creativity or additional research on your part. Have you looked at Table 1in the project's procedure? It provides some examples of how you can change some of the physical quantities that can be used to send a signal. However, in all these examples you must toggle the quantity manually (for example, manually increase and decrease the screen brightness). This should be enough for a proof of concept that you can send and detect a signal. If you want to automate sending the signal then that is an even more advanced programming project where you would need to find a programming language that is capable of controlling the physical quantity you want. Hope that helps.

Ben

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”