Measuring sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

nram5452

Determining Sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Post by nram5452 »

For the laser pointer, do we have to be able to see the whole entire beam or just the dot that you see on the wall? I need to get a laser pointer and I don't know if the beam has to be visible or just the dot. Thanks.
eedoherty
Former Expert

Re: Determining Sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Post by eedoherty »

Hi there,

For this experiment it looks like you only need to be able to see the beam as it travels through the prism to verify that it is parallel with the base of the prism. If this is a problem, adding a pinch of non-dairy creamer in the liquid can help you see the beam within the prism and should not significantly affect the. You could also take a straight edge and line it up with the laser beam's entrance and exit points and assume the straight line in between.

Hope this helps,

-Erin
nram5452

Measuring sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Post by nram5452 »

How far away should point A and point B be in inches. Also, how far away should point b and c be in inches? Thank you.
rickmarz
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Measuring sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Post by rickmarz »

nram5452 - I don't think the length of a-to-b is critical, as you are going to solve the problem using trigonometry. The distance of the paper on the wall to the prism will determine the length. The trade-off will be that a longer length may improve your trig measurement, but it may also introduce some diffusion of your laser spot. My guess would be to start with a distance of about 5" from the prism to the wall and adjust as seems beneficial. It will not alter the trig measurement.

Rick Marz
nram5452

Determining Sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Post by nram5452 »

Hi, I have to make a presentation for this project and I still need a further study. How could you study water and light refraction (this project) further? Thanks!

moderator note: Please keep your posts on this topic in the same thread so the experts who have been helping you see that you have follow-up questions. Thank you.
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: Measuring sugar content of water using a laser pointer

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi nram5452,

You could look in the "Make It Your Own" section of the project for ideas: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... eityourown

In addition, consider questions that you still had at the end of the study. Would refraction be different with a different color laser, for example? I hope this helps!

Elena

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”