Hovercraft

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MauriceJean

Hovercraft

Post by MauriceJean »

Hi goodday,

I'm creating a hovercraft but I'm stuck with some areas and need a few questions answered.
What would be the best type of skirt material to use?

I'm using 2 400 cfw electric leaf blowers for the air cushion at the bottom, but idk if that'll lift if off the ground by alot. ( for the project, its required to lift off the ground about 5 cm)

I also need a propelling force , that willl allow it to move on its own, i'm really stuck with this one. I don't know what would exactly do this , a fan, a leaf blower , what kind of power do i need. etc.

it also has to be able to do that while carrying a 100 lb person in addition to the other masses on the board of the hover craft.

PLEASE HELP!! :(
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Hovercraft

Post by norman40 »

Hi MauriceJean,

I'm assuming that you're working on the hovercraft project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ft#summary

The materials list for this project suggests several options for the skirt material. Your selection might be based on material availability and the size of the hovercraft you are building. This project suggests a 48 inch base diameter.

The leaf blower is required to inflate and maintain an appropriate pressure in the skirt. One leaf blower will probably inflate the skirt. Adding a second leaf blower might speed up the skirt inflation. I think you're on the right track for the propelling force. You could use a leaf blower or another kind of fan to propel the hovercraft.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”