Rock Candy Data

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mssjs

Rock Candy Data

Post by mssjs »

Good morning,

One of my students have decided to complete the Rock Candy project for the science fair. He followed a very similar procedure to the one shown here on Science Buddies. He has a jar with white granulated sugar, a jar with confectioners sugar, a jar with light brown sugar and a jar with salt. He wanted to compare the different minerals and see which one formed the largest crystals on the skewers. However, we are trying to come up with a decent quantitative data. All I can come up with is for him to measure the length and width of the crystals at the very end of the project. Is there anything else you might be able to think of that he can collect data on aside from just qualitative observations of changes..?

I appreciate any advice and ideas!! :D
Samantha
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Rock Candy Data

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Samantha - in the Science Buddies procedure, there are instructions provided for measuring the crystal formation at the end of the testing period. (This matches to what you were suggesting the student do.) You and your student might look at the bottom of the procedure here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Step 2.c under "Observations and Measurements" contains this information. Your student would use a different data chart, based on the type of solution used. But this example may be helpful.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”