Chemistry Question, Please help me. Thanks

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencelovaa

Chemistry Question, Please help me. Thanks

Post by sciencelovaa »

Hey, this is my first time using a website to ask a science question (Or any question in that matter).
So i've been dying to ask:
1) Theoretically in chemistry every molecule wants to bond and become stable (except the elements at the very right hand-side of the periodic table), so how are we able to make further compounds? For example "cakes", their base ingredients are made up of egg, milk, butter, etc. So i would think that those compound/ingredients are stable,but if they are, why are they able to bond again?

2) Do you have any suggestions to becoming better at answering science questions (How can I study for this), because answering scientific questions has always been my downfall, where i'm never able to get the full marks, as i do not grasp nor write the full correct explanation.

Thank you for reading my message, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by answering this:)
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Chemistry Question, Please help me. Thanks

Post by norman40 »

Hi sciencelovaa,

This forum is intended for students, parents, and teachers working on K-12 science projects. If you are looking for help with homework or general science discussions there are other sites that should be able to answer your question.

That said, you might want to do some reading on “chemical reactivity”, “chemical kinetics”, and “chemical thermodynamics” for help with your question.

A. Norman
jkarnes
Former Expert

Re: Chemistry Question, Please help me. Thanks

Post by jkarnes »

Dear sciencelovaa,

In regard to your question regarding baking cakes, consider an important ingredient that you did not explicitly list: heat.

Many reactions require additional energy to first put the 'ingredients' in a more unstable state. These 'heated up' ingredients can react and then achieve an even more stable state-- but this final state required more energy to get over an intrinsic energy barrier. A typical cake will not spontaneously bake in the mixing bowl.

Terms like 'activation energy' and 'reactants' can be swapped into the preceding sentences.

Other reactions, like baking soda and vinegar, involve participants that are 'stable' on their own, but quickly react when they encounter each other.

In regard to question 2, the best answer that I can provide is that there are no good short cuts. Additional reading and working of practice problems is always a great approach. Science writing can be quite different than other coursework: more dense and more precise. This bit alone suggests why it's so valuable to re-read material.

-John

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”