Science Project "Using the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory Satellite (SOHO) to Measure the Motion of a Coronal Mass Eje

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

gabysalomevelez

Science Project "Using the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory Satellite (SOHO) to Measure the Motion of a Coronal Mass Eje

Post by gabysalomevelez »

- What are the positive factors of Coronal Mass Ejections that affect our planet?
- What negative factors of Coronal Mass Ejections, Other than disrupting Earth’s magnetic field, that affect our planet?
does the velocity impact any of these factors?
- What are the factor that make the sun to eject parts of its Coronal Mass?
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Re: Science Project "Using the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory Satellite (SOHO) to Measure the Motion of a Coronal Mass

Post by rrv17 »

Hello gabysalomevelez,

I've done some research on the topic and this is what I found:

https://www.windows2universe.org/sun/cmes.html
This link has some information on the negative effects of Coronal Mass Ejections.
  • Radiation from this event can cause disruptions in radio waves that travel long distances
    Can fry satellites and their electronics
    Shock waves can put astronauts in dangerous situations
    -There is some more listed on the site
The only positive factor I have found is the creation of aurorae, also known as the Northern/Southern Lights.

It also seems that the velocity has no factor as the energy from the event launches plasma at extremely high speeds no matter what.
https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/th ... s-and-cmes

CMEs are eruptions of enormous amounts of energy and are created by
the motion of the sun’s interior contorting its own magnetic fields. Like the sudden release of a twisted rubber band, the magnetic fields explosively realign, driving vast amounts of energy into space
(from the nasa website as well)

I hope this helps and good luck!

-Regina

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”