Radiation Source- 210Pb needle

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

fuzzyyellow

Radiation Source- 210Pb needle

Post by fuzzyyellow »

Hi, for my science project, I'm testing polypropylene and how it affects particle occurrence in a cloud chamber. I want to do several trials. Is there a way I can do this by purchasing only one radioactive needle? The needles are expensive that's why.
kumars21
Former Student Expert

Re: Radiation Source- 210Pb needle

Post by kumars21 »

Hi skanji04,

Your project sounds very interesting!

Firstly, could you explain what you were planning to do with the polypropylene as I could not really find a connection between the cloud chamber and the polypropylene.

Secondly, I do not think you would need a second radioactive needle. The half-life of Pb-210, a common radioactive needle, is 22.3 years, which means it lasts a little more than that said amount of years.

However, please respond to me about the polypropylene, and I will reply to you with a more precise response as quickly as possible.

Thanks and Good Luck,
Shivansh
fuzzyyellow

Post by fuzzyyellow »

Hi, I was going to wrap the polypropylene around the radiation source, and record the number of tracks in the cloud chamber. I would then compare it to nothing surrounding the radiation source.
kumars21
Former Student Expert

Post by kumars21 »

Hey!

Sorry for the late response, but I still do believe that you would not need another needle for a different trial. Lead 210just lasts for such a long time that the amount of decay over the course of your project is negligible. It even says on some packaging that the half-life is around 23 years.

Anyways, half fun and stay safe!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”